When we think back to our childhood the two treats that come to mind are cake & cereal. As adults we still love to indulge in both which is when we got the idea to hybrid both into one incredible recipe. So we picked up a box of our favorite cereal, Fruity Pebbles, & some cake mix & got to work. While this cake may seem a bit intimidating it’s actually super easy to make. All you need is an oven safe bowl, cake mix (homemade or box), frosting (again homemade or can), & Fruity Pebbles. The full recipe is below but essentially you're baking a cake in a bowl instead of a cake dish. Make sure it's sprayed well with baking spray so it doesn't stick & you're all set. From there you just make a small hole in the center to resemble a real bowl, fill it with cereal, & that's it! This cake is sure to be a hit amongst all ages as it truly resembles a giant bowl of cereal! Plus what's better than an excuse to eat cake for breakfast or rather all day long. With this cake you can indulge in both cereal & cake in the best way possible.
- your favorite cake recipe (or box)
- 1 box Fruity Pebbles
- 2 cups your favorite frosting recipe (or can)
- Preheat oven to 350F or according to cake instructions. Combine all cake ingredients in large mixing bowl & stir until smooth.
- Spray oven safe mixing bowl. Pour batter into bowl until ¾ way full. Bake according to cake instructions. Let cake cool & gently flip the bowl over to remove the cake. Flip cake back onto it's bottom & very gently cut a circle in the middle of the cake about ¾ inch from the outside & about ½ inch deep. Use a spoon to help remove the inside ½ inch deep.
- Frost the outside & top rim of cake with spatula. Fill the center of the cake with Fruity Pebbles (roughly 2 cups). Serve & enjoy!
large mixing bowl
6 cup oven safe mixing bowl
Images & Recipe: Public Lives, Secret Recipes
About the Contributor
Caitlin is the founder of Chicago based lifestyle web publication Public Lives, Secret Recipes which specializes in recipe development, DIY tutorials, fashion posts, & much more. Aside from the blog, Caitlin is the founder of Krispops, a crisped rice cake pop company, that you can order online! Be sure to shop Krispops here & follow PLSR on Instagram, Twitter, Facebook, & Pinterest!